Monday, May 18, 2015

Back pain, and bone scans, and lymph nodes, Oh My!

I was really hoping the next post I wrote was going to be about my "new normal" - What life is like now that the initial cancer treatments are over. I thought would talk about how I'm getting back into a new routine - trying to heal, rest, and recover. Unfortunately, this post is instead about all the tests I've been having and physical pain I've been experiencing - yay!

Back Pain

As soon as we got back from Houston I stopped all the nightly helpers and delivered meals. I was ready to jump right back into our "normal" life, and do it all by myself. I feel so guilty needing help for so very long- from the people managing the schedule of all the helpers to all the people that came over so many nights instead of getting to their own to-do lists or getting to relax. Instead, they were bathing and feeding my kids. I wanted everyone to get a break, including my parents.

"Giving everyone else a break" required me to lift and care for my 25 and 35 pound babies with a back that had grown weak while recovering from surgery and living in Houston. This led pretty quickly to some extreme back and hip pain. I was on heavy duty pain meds 24/7 to be able to function. At first I didn't realize (or want to believe) this was the culprit. I went to a chiropractor, yoga, physical therapy, and acupuncture. After two weeks of trying everything, the thing that finally helped was me resting my back for a weekend while friends were in town and could lift the kids for me. (Thank you Caitlin for picking up my kids all weekend!!)

Bone Scan

Since the pain came on so suddenly, was so intense (without pain meds I couldn't even think), and seemed to be worsening, that qualified me for a bone scan to check for metastases in my spine. I was pretty nervous about this one. Every time we have a test it always feels like I'm about to start the beginning of the end.

What I've learned after many (thankfully) negative scans is this: you can't start freaking out about the possibility of cancer spreading until you have definite results. Even then, I have to remember that God is in control, He has a plan, and He is going to walk with me through each step- even if the end of that road is an ugly death from cancer.

Cross Lymph Node

Just as we were letting out a big sigh of relief with the negative bone scan, I felt a large lymph node on my left (non-cancer) side under my armpit. I messaged my local doctor to see if I should a) just ignore it, b) wait until the next time I'm in Houston to bring it up, or c) get an ultrasound in Dallas. I quickly received a message back asking if I could come in that afternoon for a scan.

Every time I ask a doctor about some symptom, I'm always praying in the back of my head, "Please say this is totally normal and clearly explainable by some non-life-threatening alternative reason." Whenever they say, "Let's scan this immediately," it's never as good.

My lymph node was 1.7 cm. That's big for me - the largest I ever had on the right side was 1.2 cm. The radiologist gave a few reasons why it may not be cancer and would recommend just watching it unless I was "one of those people who would be worrying about it and feeling it all the time". It was like he knew me or something.

We did a biopsy right then and I'll find out in a few days if it is cancerous. If it is cancerous I will at that point technically be "incurable". But like I mentioned above, I'm not going to worry about that until I know for sure what the scoop is. And surely it won't be positive since that doesn't fit into my plan of being here four years from now to throw David that killer birthday party.

So here's to attempting to rest and recover while keeping two babies alive, remaining full of peace in the midst of uncertainty, and enjoying every day I'm given! Let's do this!

28 comments:

  1. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!Very useful information particularly the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time.
    comprehensive pain management

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great force for these days of uncertainty!

    A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great force for these days of uncertainty!

    A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ashleigh, I just love you! You are going through so much and yet remain as positive as you can. I am praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying hard for you -- I found you through the Momfessionals blog and think of you often (we are the same age w/ young kids and your story just stuck w/ me so much!) and your attitude is inspiring, so put it mildly! I have no words for your amazing faith, but you are so encouraging to me (and I'm not even going through cancer). Praying for your next results, and thankful for the update! You are a wonderful light for God!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Good to see you fighting against breast cancer. May God cure you soon. Early detection can prevent breast cancer damage. But people have lack of awareness. One of my relative also died from breast cancer. I am also fighting against breast cancer. You can find few tips to prevent breast cancer from my blog:
    http://www.fightwidcancer.com/2014/08/how-to-prevent-breast-cancer.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ashleigh, just wanted to share something that I recently read by Eckhart Tolle in regards to Uncertainty.

    When you become comfortable with uncertainty, infinite possibilities open up in your life. So often, we are held back by fear of the unknown, assuming discomfort means we’re making a wrong turn. The truth is, nobody knows what they’re doing in this life. Nobody knows how it’s all going to pan out. All we can do is to do what we can, where we are, with what we have. Shying away from uncertainty is not avoiding the tough decisions; it’s choosing comfort and security over growth and possibility. Become comfortable with uncertainty. Accept it as a fact of life, and have faith in what will come.

    Praying for you friend and sending you my love and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite not being able to write what you thought you would, it’s really nice to hear that you’re continually battling this unfortunate situation of yours. And it’s great that you are turning to a lot of resources such as chiropractor, yoga, physical therapy, and acupuncture, in order to facilitate a faster recovery. Thanks for sharing this with us. All the best!


    Mark Wallace @ Wabi Iron & Chiropractic Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go easy on yourself. You do not have to carry the babies around all the time, especially now that they have started to grow too big for such. Most importantly, it’s really doing a number on your back. And more than 30 pounds on your shoulders is not exactly the best response to that. You need to get to the bottom of that pain, before doing anything else.

    Mark Wallace @ Chiropractic Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Treatment for acupuncture in Mississauga involves the insertion of fine, sterile needles into specific sites (acupuncture points) along the body's meridians to clear energy blockages and encourage the normal flow of energy (Qi) through the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really great information found here, I really like your blog. Thanks very much for the share. Keep posting.
    Stem Cell Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello admin! This is remarkable article as well as it is valuable for the entire person and I want to say that I would like to write on this subject too. You have an interesting written of this topic.
    Sciatica Pain Frankfort

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are more components to breast cancer than some people realize. The pain is almost constant unless you have some kind of medication all the time. It seems like there is always some kind of test that needs to be done in order to see if the cancer has spread, and there's a fear that it the results won't be good.

    Prince Baughman @ Everybody's Chiropractic

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been suffering with back pain for many years, kicking and screaming about going to see a chiropractor. I am not sure where my fear originated, but i recently gave in due to excessive pain to see if they could do anything. I should have gone years ago because today I am finally living a near normal life without suffering.

    Earnestine Doescher @ U.S. HealthWorks Modesto I

    ReplyDelete
  15. Medical science have at last discover a way to cure your HIV AIDS through
    the help of dr.aluyasolutiontemple@yahoo.com he was tested and trusted
    he also have a certificate given to him by the federal government that
    qualify him to be a spell caster and a herbal doctor, Dr.ALUYA herbal
    medicine is a good remedy for HIV AIDS and HERPES VIRUS , I was a carrier
    of HERPES VIRUS and I saw a testimony on how Dr ALUYA cure HERPES VIRUS, I decided to contact
    him, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he
    started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm
    cured by Dr ALUYA herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr ALUYA, reach him
    on *dr.aluyasolutiontemple@yahoo.com Or
    contact his number via +2347064851317 or you can as well add him on
    whatsapp with same number,God bless you sir
    DOCTOR ALUYA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER ALL KINDS
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis A,B,C
    6. Diabetes
    7. CHRONIC DISEASE
    8. Coronary Artery Disease (Ischemic Heart Disease)
    9. Alopecia
    10.Bipolar disorder
    11.Bedwetting
    12.Carpal tunnel syndrome
    13.Celiac disease
    14.Ear Infections
    15.Endometriosis
    16.Epilepsy
    17.Chlamydia
    18.Syphilis
    19.Gonorrhea...

    ReplyDelete
  16. We really need to make exercise at least 30 mins per day so the symptoms above won't appear

    ReplyDelete


  17. شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام التفاؤل شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر كما انها افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالجبيل نقل عفش واثاث بالجبيل والخبر والقطيف والدمام
    شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
    شركة نقل اثاث بالجبيل
    شركة نقل اثاث بالقطيف

    ReplyDelete

  18. اهم شركات كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذكل شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة وتنظيف بجدة ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر وكشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل والقطيف والخبر والدمام
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

    ReplyDelete
  19. اهم شركات نقل العفش والاثاث بالدمام والخبر والجبيل اولقطيف والاحساء والرياض وجدة ومكة المدينة المنورة والخرج والطائف وخميس مشيط وبجدة افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة نعرضها مجموعة الفا لنقل العفش بمكة والخرج والقصيم والطائف وتبوك وخميس مشيط ونجران وجيزان وبريدة والمدينة المنورة وينبع افضل شركات نقل الاثاث بالجبيل والطائف وخميس مشيط وبريدة وعنيزو وابها ونجران المدينة وينبع تبوك والقصيم الخرج حفر الباطن والظهران
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة نقل عفش بينبع
    شركة نقل عفش بالخرج
    شركة نقل عفش بالقصيم
    شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط
    شركة نقل عفش بتبوك
    شركة نقل عفش بابها
    شركة نقل عفش ببريدة
    شركة نقل عفش بنجران
    شركة نقل عفش بحائل
    شركة نقل عفش بالظهران
    شركة نقل عفش واثاث
    شركة نقل عفش

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mother was diagnosed in January 2009 with stage four breast cancer. She had the tumor removed and nine lymph nodes. All of them were positive.

    ReplyDelete

  21. شركة تخزين عفش بالدمام


    شركة المنزل شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام مع افضل المستودعات و المخازن
    مخازنا كبيرة ذات تهوية جيدة و نعمل علي تنظيفها بشكل دائم خالية من اي اوساخ او حشرات قد تضر بعفشكم
    و لدينا ايضا افضل المستودعات ذات الحجم الكبير الذي يساع اكبر انواع العفش حجما و مقسم لاستيعاب كل قطعة كبيرة او صغيرة
    شرك المنزل شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام بافضل العمالة التي تقوم بنقل العفش من و الي المخازن بأامن الطرق
    للحفاظ علي العفش


    شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام


    http://elmnzel.com/moving-furniture-dammam/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have had ongoing back pain for over 3 years. The only thing I know that could show much is bone scans looking for "Hot Spots"

    ReplyDelete
  23. My husband has abandon me and the kids for the the past 8months now, and refuse to come back because he was hold on by a woman whom he just met, for that, my self and the kids has been suffering and it has been heel of a struggle, but I decide to do all means to make sure that my family come together as it use to, then I went online there I saw so many good talk about this spell caster whose email is ihundespelltemple@gmail.com so I had to contact him and explain my problem to him and in just 3days as he has promised, my husband came home and his behavior was back to the man i got married to. I cant thank the spell caster enough for what he did for me, i am so grateful and i will never stop to publish his name on the internet for the good work he has done for me,once again his email is ihundespelltemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete